Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hotdish in the Wild

So when ChoirPres and I prepared to put together this blog, we came up with the whole Hotdish element as a unique element in Minnesota Culture. The longer I am here I find that it really is one of those phenomenons and last night, I saw Tater Tot Hot Dish on the first menu at a nice restaurant.

Of course that sparked some great conversations with the Californians I was with. A Wisconsinite (no clue if that's right) told us a story how one of the pastors she was working for told her "No Hot Dish's" for Innerfaith Dinner. Of course she was much more savy about it and clarified, "so you want cold cuts and pasta salad?" to which he replied, "Oh no," (think minnesota accent here people) "people bring mashed potatoes and soup and whatever else they can think of." She figured it out, I would not have, and said, "Ah, no casorol then. Gocha"

Someday I will get around to trying it. Till then I will continue to marvel in the quarky fun of this crazy State.

~soundguy

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh honey. It's SAVVY, CASSEROLE, and QUIRKY (dang that dislexia!). But I love you anyway =)

Erin said...

I heard a report about the MN state fair on NPR the other day...they have hotdish on a stick apparently