Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Puppies and Surplices

"My Name's Sugar and I'm gonna break your heart."


This dog has managed to capture my heart from 2000 miles away. I may never see her as a puppy but at this point the amount of stories and pictures I have received (even text messages) about this dog pretty much makes me the most jealous dog lover in the world right now. I am currently fighting off the urge to revert to a 5 year old temper tantrum and yell "I WANNA PUPPY!!"

So sorry we have slacked on blogging lately. The 'Pres and I are currently finishing major tasks that have soaked up our lives. I am sure when we get off these mini roller coasters we will have some good quality updates to post.

Being the Episcopalian that I am, I decided to purchase myself a very nice Cassock to wear on Sunday Mornings. My Lutheran congregation finds it quite funny that I wear a "dress" every Sunday. I just have a thing about being vested (and not in a choir robe circa 1970). My mother graciously said she would be willing to make me a Surplice. Being that my small congregation still holds a tension toward anything "high" as they might call it, I really don't want to push the full vesting of the cassock and the surplice on them every Sunday. It just so happened that my parents came to visit me this week (the week spanning Reformation and All-Saints) and what better time to try out my new, hand made, with family lace surplice on Reformation Sunday when the kiddos are getting confirmed!

You might say it is a little much but even Martin Luther said that worship garb, dress or how the church was setup really didn't matter. So while I won't wear my Surplice accept for feast days, I think it's probably the coolest thing I have ever seen, let alone owned. My mom labored for months on this thing long distance getting it perfect, and it is, PERFECT. I guess I always took for granted that my mom was a seamstress...now I realize how amazingly talented she really is. I love the fact that I will probably wear this for the rest of my life and think of her every time I put it on. Thanks Mom.

So, puppies and surplices it is. Hope you are enjoying the Fall where ever you are and if you are in Minnesota, Join us for the National Lutheran Choir All-Saints Performance.

Blessings -

~soundguy

1 comment:

Nicole said...

We're all mixed up. I thought I was supposed to be the one getting the fancy, lacy white dress this year. =P