Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Really?!? Really Verizon?!?! (WARNING: NERD CONTENT!)


"iPhone. The phone that changed everything. Coming to America's most reliable network." - Directly from VerizonWireless.com

Really?!? Really?!? Sucks that it changed everything WITHOUT you and now...well, it might help your bottom line but you have to change your whole business model just to make it work. Really?

5 Reasons that Verizon (although a more robust network than AT&T) sucks.

1. Verizon forces all it's own firmware on phones they release. They want you to pay them for EVERYTHING. It costs $2 for visual voicemail! There is an audio file somewhere waiting for its recipient to listen to it...why can't they just digitally download it and store it on the phone so it could be listened to that person wants and in the order that person wants? Why should you have to go through the voicemail system just to hear your message when it's all digital anyway? OH I see, cause you can just tack on extra charges for data that the person ALREADY PAYS FOR! I am sure that Verizon will make its iPhone users do the same as Android Users. At least Apple forced Verizon's hand at letting them control the firmware.

2. The greatest thing about my iPhone 3G is the Data. I can look at the maps, get a website, check my mail, calendar, etc. no matter what. Why do I want a phone that cuts off the Data when I answer a call? So when I'm lost, trying to find my way I can't just put them on speaker phone and look at the map? Totally negates the iPhone in my book.

3. GSM....It's a worldwide network so my phone works just about everywhere. Why would I want a phone that I can't use when I travel places? (Sure it costs me an arm and a leg to use but hey, IT WORKS!!). All you nerds out there probably will point out that CMDA really is a more powerful and solid network that works better in America over the great distances and space we have. GSM does lack in that manner but hey...I'll take some drop calls for an international standard, especially with the rate of growth of all the networks towers.

4. Shutting down your "New Every Two" days before the iPhone comes out? One of the greatest thing about Verizon was your ability to be rewarded for bellying up to the bar and renewing your 2 year contract and getting a new phone at reduced rates. Really? And you don't even mention it in your FAQ section or anywhere on your "New Every Two" information site.


5. 3G. The term is viral and does anybody really know what it means? It seems interesting that Verizon put out their version of 3G in 2003 which really was CMDA2000 1x EV-DO. I remember seeing the 1x on my Verizon phones knowing I was digital. But when AT&T put out a True 3G network, suddenly Verizon had to start calling it's digital network 3G too just to compete mostly because the world doesn't understand any of the technical mumbo jumbo. Odd that one of the first lines in the Wiki article on 3G states that the IMT-2000 standard states that 3G has to be able to simultaneously transfer voice and data with rates at least of 200kbit/s. See 2 above.

Really people. Verizon's iPhone will draw some people away from AT&T (which I say good riddance, gives me faster data rates) and will get Apple another round of new users. But it does nothing (accept potentially releasing iOS4.3 with tethering capabilities and all the drama that will bring). Oh wait, the net neutrality rules don't apply to Mobile networks so soon Data will be parsed out based on what you visit and Verizon I am confident will figure out ways to charge you extra to get access to just about anything beyond their own services.

Rant is done. Enjoy your new iPhone 4 and it's lack of functionality on America's most reliable and expensive network. I'll stick with my old iPhone 3G on AT&T's crummy little network which I don't pay an arm and a leg for...yet.

~jim

1 comment:

John said...

1. just use Google Voice and you can bypass the need for proprietary pay-per-use software.

2. you can actually make phone calls with your AT&T phone? I didn't think you could ever complete a call and if you did it might drop it before you could look up map directions!

oh, and Jimmy...you forgot perhaps the most important point. Verizon likely will not get the iPhone 5 for 6 months after AT&T gets it (presumably sometime this summer) due to the refresh schedule.

While your points are valid, approx 26% of AT&T customers are planning to switch to Verizon. They can't all be dumb, right?

We were debating switching to Verizon for the iPhone, but will probably be waiting until the iPhone 5 comes out with AT&T...and 26% of AT&T's client base has moved to Verizon.