Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

So Long, Pharmies!

In keeping with our commitment to making 2011 the Year of Nothing {HA!}, I made the decision to leave my position in the OSU College of Pharmacy in August.  I spent eight great years as the Academic Advisor for the Pre-Pharmacy students, and had an outstanding experience.  But then opportunity knocked, and I was offered a position in OSU's College of Engineering.  So I took the leap and left the comfy job where I totally knew what I was doing and dove headfirst into the world of Engineering as Assistant Director of Undergraduate Programs.  I think it's gonna be awesome, but I have NO idea what I've gotten myself into.  Hello, steep learning curve!

The hardest part of leaving Pharmacy was definitely saying goodbye to my students.  Because it takes 7-8 years of school to become a pharmacist I had been advising some of those students for a long time.  I raised a few of 'em from pups!  I was touched by the outpouring of kind notes from the Pharmies when my departure was announced, and had to break my "no crying at work" rule a few times.  Those stinkers.

Last week marked my first full month in Engineering, and I got a surprise visit from a Pharmie bringing me the most wonderful gift.  The students had collaborated to make me a beautiful hard-bound photo book.


About 40 students submitted photos and letters remembering our time together and describing the impact I'd had on them.  Well cue the waterworks because I was wrecked! Only a month into the new job and I'm already crying at work.  Those stinkers.


I have absolutely loved my career as an Academic Advisor, and this is why.  I have the privilege of being invited along on the college journey with some awesome people who are in the process of deciding who they are and where they belong in the world.  There's never a dull moment.  And most importantly, there are moments like this one where I can see that I've made a difference.

(source: Pinterest)

1 comment:

Princess Jessie Pants said...

How sweet is that???!! You are well loved by all who come into contact with you - a difference is made indeed. So proud of you, my friend!

xoxo