Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fast Freddie's Balsamic Vinaigrette

Need a good recipe for vinaigrette?  Just so happens I swiped one from my step-dad, Fast Freddie.  It's quick and easy, and goes together from ingredients you probably have on hand.

You need:

*Olive oil
*Red wine vinegar
*Balsamic vinegar (optional, but so good!)
*Basil
*Lemon juice
*Salt
*Pepper
*Garlic
*A cute bottle for your finished product
*A blender


The ingredients are not measured exactly, so you can make as much or as little as you'd like.  My bottle holds about 2 cups of dressing so I use a 1/2 cup for each "part" in the recipe.




In the blender, combine:
      3 parts olive oil
      1 part vinegar (I do mostly red wine, and a little balsamic)
      minced garlic (I like garlic - two cloves for me)
      basil (a bit less than a tablespoon)
      salt (to taste, maybe a teaspoon)
      fresh ground pepper (to taste, about a teaspoon)
      1 shot of lemon juice
The next step is really key to getting good dressing.  First, fail to notice that your blender is switched to the "on" position.  Next, ensure that the lid is off.  Better yet - place the lid far down the counter so it's nowhere near your blender.  Now lean over and plug the blender in.  Do all of this while on the phone with your mother so that, when the s**t hits the fan (literally...sigh) you can squawk in her ear about "olive oil everywhere!" and drop your phone in the sink.  


Awesome!  Once you've cleaned up your mess, changed your oil-splattered clothes, and called your mother back to ensure her you weren't nose-to-nose with a burglar, you can blend up your dressing and get on with your life.

 Confession: there was a moment here when I considered pitching this whole mess and starting over so I could have nice tidy pictures for this post.  But then I realized two things.  First, that's wasteful!  Secondly, I am SO not the gal with the picture perfect life, coiffed and spit-polished for presentation on her award winning blog.  I make messes and screw things up and think that pulling the covers up counts as making the bed.  So I'm keepin it real.  This is how I make salad dressing.  Go ahead and judge me, Martha.  My counter is cleaner than your criminal background check.  Oh snap!   

Now you have a tasty bottle of homemade salad dressing and a freshly cleaned kitchen.  Enjoy!  


Your dressing should be stored in the fridge, and you'll notice the olive oil and vinegar separating.  Not to worry!  I usually take the dressing out of the fridge while I'm making dinner so it can warm up a bit and then give it a good shake.  Got your buns in the oven?  Set the dressing bottle on the stove and it will warm up nicely.

2 comments:

Leah said...

this looks amazing. i will most certainly be making this salad dressing in the very new future - it'll allow me to use my shiny new blender!

also, i appreciate you keepin' it real and love the martha slam ;)

The Lovelys said...

Did Martha really deserve that?