Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Geeking Out

Windows 7
Some of you nerds out there probably know that Microsoft is finally putting out the operating system the should have put out when they released Vista. It even seems that Vista is getting the same treatment Millennium Edition received when that flopped. Well, this week Microsoft released the RC version of Windows 7 for download and of course I couldn't help myself in trying to install it on the iMac with Parallels.
I must say that it was not as difficult to install as I suspected and the darn thing seems to run quite well. Windows always runs faster in Parallels anyway and of course some of the graphic based applications don't work at all but so far I have been able to test the newest release of OpenOffice and Chrome. It has a lot of Vista styled menus but the task bar is a complete redesign.

For those of you trying to install Windows 7 on Parallels 3 check out the following tips.
  • Don't even try to burn the ISO from microsoft. Toast failed at two attempts and I am not sure why. Just point Parallels to the ISO file. It installs much faster too.
  • When you install just choose the other operating system option and pick Windows Experimental 2008, the rest of the settings are standard.
  • I had some weird graphic issues when I told Parallels to install the Parallel tools. I found that if I jumped away from the window and came back, it would correct itself.
  • When it asks you to run the Parallel Tools inside Windows 7, do not click run...instead explore the connected drive, right click on the parallel tools and change compatibility to Windows XP mode.
  • It will yell at you that the drivers arn't signed but my internet and sound started working after a restart. The shared drives don't seem to connect but for me but I don't really care.
Peace -

~soundguy

No comments: