Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

Snow Leopard (R.I.P. Mbox)


Warning: This post is not well written, witty or even close to interesting for anyone who isn't a complete and total geek. I leave the good posts to the Choirpres. 'Nuff said.

Snow Leopard is now in Apple Stores and can be purchased for a mere $29 (single install). Must have an intel based Mac and some free space on the hard drive. At this point in time the only problem I have run into is loss of support for the DigiCoreAudio Manager which runs my Mbox (external soundcard). I was pretty sure this would happen but I am bummed that my Mbox is pretty much worthless to me. Time for a new toy.

FYI - I installed the interlok extensions...then tried to reinstall the DigiCoreAudio Manager. Added it to startup. The software runs and recognizes the Mbox but OSX does not give it as an option within the sound preferences.

As for OS X 10.6...
Boot time has been decreased. Programs seem to open faster.
Safari runs very well and loads pages even faster than before.
Adobe Creative Suite runs beautifully (I have not tried anything but the basics).
Openoffice and Word seem to work just fine.
Parallels 3.0 does not work (known).
Minor Changes to explose are pretty nice and functional so far.

Happy upgrading. Make sure you run a backup on your computer before installing just in case.

~soundguy

6 comments:

Nicole said...

You're funny. Wish I understood you... =P

James said...

Damn - I wish I had read this earlier before finding out the hard way. :(

Any solutions yet?

Jimusik said...

Right now I have a quarter inch mini jack hooked into the headphones going to 1/4 inch mono's running to the back of the Mbox. That way I still can use the Mbox and the KRK's connected to it. Quality is minimally diminished and I don't have inputs but atleast I can listen...for now. Waiting till Digidesign puts out a new Core Audio.

James said...

Okay, can you run that by me one more time... I think we have similar set ups - I have an Mbox with Behringer Truth speakers. So we are going from computer to mbox to speakers, but how are you getting around the problem?

Jimusik said...

Too Many Tights - If you are still reading, sorry I didn't notice your post sooner. The way I am setting things up is this: output from iMac headphone jack (mini stereo) to split 1/4 inch mono left and right. I plug those two cables into the Source 1 and Source 2 respectively. I then switch the input to line and now I can listen to anything on the computer through my power speakers. The problem...no input from the mbox back into the computer.

I am starting to research other devices. So far the Duet looks like the best high end option but I don't like the limited inputs and outputs. M-audio has a couple nice multi-input devices that I am going to continue to research. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

Good luck,

~soundguy

Peter said...

I have my mbox2 working with snow leopard. Forget what I did. I seem to remember it asking for some anti-piracy support files. Play around with it a bit and you might get it working.

Unfortunately the drivers are absolutely crap and they crash the whole OS regularly. Maybe you'd be best off waiting for newer drivers.