Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Soundguy in the Snow

You know, trying to guess the weather in MN hasn't proven to be that easy and as I heard warnings of 5-8 inches today I kinda laughed. Yesterday was a balmy 35 degrees, things were melting, you could see the grass and the leaves from fall last year. Even this morning, although colder, the sun was out and it was a nice day. I said, "5-8 inches? Ha! They were wrong again." So as I left work at noon, thinking that should give me enough time to get my car and get down to St. Olaf, I was hit by little light snow and said to myself, "hrm, maybe it will snow." You know what's cool, the sound of snow hitting dry leaves. Pretty nice.

I jumped in my car, looking at the clock considering the 45 minute drive ahead of me and said, yah an extra 15 minutes will be good in this light snow. As I got to the end of the block that light snow wasn't so light anymore. As I got on the freeway I thought, hrm, this could get bad. Slipping and sliding around I started considering the drive home today. If 2 inches had fallen in 45 minutes, I might be fighting 5-8 inches or more on the drive home. "WHAT AM I DOING!?!?"

I threw on the GPS and took a side street, heading back toward roads I knew. As I reached the first stoplight, I look ahead of me down the side street of a local neighborhood. White. Lots of White. So much white, I couldn't see where the road was. THEY WERN'T KIDDING ABOUT SNOW IN MN!

Sure, winter was cold. There was some snow in there too. But get a cold and warm front running into each other and the snow COMES DOWN. Nothing left to do but find somebody willing to have a snowball fight and call it a day. That and write a couple papers for class.

So for all of you in the land of tall green fir trees, in the great north west...enjoy your balmy 45 degrees and rain. I'm gonna watch and see how much snow actually comes down!


~soundguy

1 comment:

Princess Jessie Pants said...

Dude! It snowed in Salem this morning & it took me 1 hour & 20 minutes to get to work, all because of 1 1/2 inches of snow. SO....we here in the NW know about snow - I'm just saying... :)