Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Drum Roll Please...

...because we have a big announcement! In a birthday surprise to end all birthday surprises, SoundGuy popped the question on Saturday and this blog is now maintained by ENGAGED people!

Knowing that SoundGuy would be tucked in to his studies1800 miles away over my birthday weekend, I made plans with the girls (Beth, Jessie, and Brenda Lee to be specific). I had been wanting to visit Pittock Mansion since the holidays so we decided to make that our birthday outing. Husbands Adam, Tim, and Thatcher joined the fun and the seven of us arrived to tour this grand old mansion with a panoramic view of Portland.
The mansion is basically a museum - items are on display, and informational plaquards are placed all throughout the home. We arrived a little later than we'd originally planned, but I didn't think it was a big deal since we weren't really operating on a strict schedule. Well, I have never been hustled through a museum faster in my life! Apparently we were on a schedule that I didn't know about. As we explored the home I noticed our group fanning out...people moving ahead quickly, others hanging back, poor Preggo Jessie stopping to sit down every six minutes, certain doors and windows being surreptisiously blocked, etc. Thatcher even went missing for a good half hour! In retrospect I understand what was happening, but at the time? Totally, blissfully clueless (probably day-dreaming about the birthday cupcakes waiting for us after dinner).

When we'd toured the entire home, we headed outside to walk the grounds. As soon as we left the building I heard guitar music, saying "Hey, guitars!" Beth turns to me, knowingly, and responds, "Yeah...GUI - TARS..." (as in "get with the program, lady!"). I listen a moment more and hear singing - SoundGuy's voice! As the wheels turned and I realized that my sweets and I were in the same zip code I ran down the path, turned the corner, and found SoundGuy and his best pals Nick, Ryan, and Lucas in full seranade mode.
These sweet boys were out in the chilly afternoon, fingers blue with the cold, playing and singing their hearts out to "Blue Eyes." What an incredible gift. I will never forget it! (Note my three scheming girlfriends and the miscellaneous tourists in the background).
Following the serenade, SoundGuy whisked me away to the end of the lawn overlooking the city and the mountains. In the style of true sappy romantics everywhere, he got down on one knee (in the mud) and asked me to marry him. Want to guess what I said?
Then he gave me THE MOST BEAUTIFUL RING EVER, made with stones from my grandparents and SoundGuy's family:

Then we smooched a little bit...
...and smiled a lot...
...and, surrounded by our friends, headed off to the Kennedy School to meet SoundGuy's family for a celebratory dinner.

And there you have it: the story of a very special day that neither of us will ever forget. I'm sure SoundGuy will be able to fill in plenty of the details of which I am still blissfully unaware. We owe so much gratitude to our wonderful friends and family for all that they did to make this day so perfect. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

PS - Special credit for these (and many other) beautiful photos goes to our talented friend, Tim. Thank you!!

4 comments:

Andrea @ Knitty Bitties said...

Well if there was ever a post worthy of a lurker posting, this is IT!!

I'm so happy for you two and wish you many blessed years together. Marriage is a most glorious thing worthy of much celebration ... I can say that still after 11 years!!

Thank you for sharing the pictures, that helps complete the story in my head :).

Can't wait to see the ring in person!! So beautiful and sentimental!

CONGRATS!!

(Just warning you though, once you're married, Ethan may ask you why you don't have any kids. He thinks the two go hand in hand immediately :P)

Erin said...

YAY! SO excited for you two. I'm bummed I missed all the fun...just know I was there in spirit! Beautiful pictures too. Break out the wedding mags...out wait...get more wedding mags...hello, frequent flyer miles, I'll be in OR a lot the next year or so I think! Congrats again!

Leah said...

Wow, reading this gave me chills! How beauitful and romantic! Congratulations you two! :)

Nikki said...

I just teared up in my office reading a blog. Jim has managed to give Nicole's friend's friends goosebump.