Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Mead and other things hazardous to your health

Some of you might be avid Wikipedia user as I am. You know now that there is a lot of fun stuff to be found and some questionable information as well. It still is fun to see what one can find including trying to figure out where such words as Honeymoon comes from. Then you run across such gems as the following:
"The term honeymoon originates from the tradition that the in-laws of the couple were required to supply a month's worth of mead, or honey wine."
What is one to do with such information but to write the future Father-in-law and quote him in jest that he might owe you a months supply of mead! What is mead anyway? It's just a fun word to say, and even more fun to send in an email!

So, the soon-to-be Father-in-law rightfully responds with the following:
"Ha! Nice try, although I do admire a fella who takes the initiative to seek out free booze!"
Said encounter is finished and disappears off the radar until this morning. In racing out the door I found that I had an extra minute or two so I drove myself to the P.O. Box to grab whatever mail might have accumulated. One of the coolest part about not living near your family is the joy of receiving packages. It makes a man a little giddy to see that key in the P.O. Box, knowing that some surprise is in store. Today, a little perplexed in the confusion of what I might be receiving, I opened my box to find an odd looking package from the soon-to-be Father-in-law.

In opening said package I find a very well packaged cylindrical container. Before I had the bubble wrap off I knew it was booze...but never for a million years would I believe that it was:I have to say that drinking Mead makes you feel that you are reaching back to the most ancient of traditions. Heck, Wikipedia says "it can be regarded as the ancestor of all fermented drinks." That's saying something. So, I will chug (you can't daintily drink Mead, can you?) my Mead tonight and be thinking gratefully of my soon-to-be Father-in-Law. Thanks for an early wedding present! Way to make my day and get yourself on the Blog twice in the same month.

Peace and grace to all y'all in the blogosphere,

~soundguy

No comments: