Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Oregon Assimilation: Year 12

Just the other day it occurred to me that I have now lived in Oregon for 12 years. 12 years! Sheesh - how did that happen? Time flies when you're developing webbed feet. I think any Oregon transplant will tell you that the key to adapting here is figuring out how to deal with the rain. Even as I type this it's pouring outside - has been all day - and the forecast doesn't look any different from now till May. (Hey...that kinda rhymes, huh?) It's definitely not for everyone, but I don't really mind. Know why? Because you don't have to shovel the rain. And living in a rainy climate makes it socially acceptable for adults to wear rainboots. That may not seem like a perk, but I'm not talking about your grandfather's boring old Cabela's galoshes. I'm talking about perfectly ridiculous, brightly colored, outlandishly-patterned, Kindergarten-reminiscent rainboots, and I can't think of any rainy-climate essential that makes me happier. Here are my own personal rainboots in all their glory:
I even wore them to work today (changing into "adult" shoes upon arrival, of course). Can you picture me carefully tucking my nice professional slacks into these absurd boots to schlog across campus? Well, you're going to have to - nobody documented it on film.

I know I'm not alone in my adoration of technicolor raingear. Who's with me? I showed you mine - now show us yours!

No comments: