Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Tornado Warnings

Welcome to the Midwest. The first Wednesday of every month, a deafening siren screams out through the Twin Cities. I have never witnessed anything like it. Somehow, the sound itself rattles my core and turns me on end even though I now know it is just a test. Hearing those sirens, close and far away, really doesn't make me feel safe though. If anything its a reminder that I now live in a place where those sirens are necessary.

Odd thing about the sirens, the one closest to Luther Seminary sounds like it is right outside the window and as it turns the sheer power of the sound hurts your ears and rattles your bones.

The Pacific Northwest has its problems of floods and earthquakes, but I grew up living with that fear of "the big one" and never had to be worried about a tornado. I hope I can get to that place of understanding here but for now, every month, on the first Wednesday I hear that siren now and just feel a little less at ease.

I can't wait for the first major snow fall. See how my mind feels about a long cold winter.

peace and grace on you,

~soundguy

No comments: