Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

25 Things (You Didn't Need To Know)

These "25 Things" lists have been floating around Facebook this week, but I decided to share mine with our little blog community instead (good idea, Erin). Here are 25 randomly chosen facts about me (in no particular order).

1) I love M*A*S*H. It’s my favorite TV show of all time. I own most of the seasons on DVD and can quote along with them. Here’s my favorite: Radar wants the (Catholic) Chaplain to give a blessing to his mother’s cow over the phone. He says, “Father, can you do it in Methodist?” Father Mulcahey replies, “I’m a piano player, Radar. I’ll transpose.”

2) My friend April and I shared the title of “tallest kid in class” from Kindegarten until 7th grade when one of the boys mercifully surpassed us. When I graduated college people finally quit saying, “you should play basketball.” It is not safe to assume that tall people are automatically good at basketball, and I’m proof.

3) All my “adult” relationships have been with men whose names start with J. My friend says it’s because I have a set of monogrammed N&J towels that I don’t want to part with. Yeah, that’s it. I choose men based on my linens. And my blender gives me career advice.

4) I spent 13 years as a vegetarian and only recently returned to eating red meat. Now I love cheeseburgers. Who knew?

5) I always have my toenails painted a bright color, but will only wear sheer or clear colors on my fingers.

6) I’m not the best driver. In fact, I much prefer life as the passenger. Front-seat passenger, that is. I don’t have the best stomach either.

7) I am simultaneously an only child and the youngest of three. Was it Jung that had the theory on the impact of birth-order on personality development? I bet I’d be fun for him.

8) When I was pretty young (4 or 5) a store clerk asked me “where did you get those big blue eyes?” I responded, “at K-Mart.” Apparently EVERYTHING comes from K-Mart. I might swing by the ole Big K this weekend to see if they have my hips in a different size.

9) I hate Wal-Mart. Not only do their politics make me angry, but the store actually gives me the willies. Blech.

10) I love smooth foods: pudding, yogurt, applesauce, ice cream, smoothies, you name it. If you don’t have to chew it, it is comfort food for me. I guess I won’t ever have to worry about what I will eat when all my teeth fall out (or when I misplace my dentures…whichever comes first).

11) I got a thumb ring during my hippie phase in high school. I’m still wearing the ring, but I quit braiding beads into my hair, and I no longer own Birkenstocks.

12) I have five close girlfriends. Every last one of them is smart, beautiful, funny, and talented. Their friendship fills me with joy and sustains me through hard times. It just doesn’t get any better than that.

13) I do not have the stereotypical female obsession with shoes. I am obsessed with bags instead. I get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from having just the right bag for the day. When I finished grad school and got a big kid’s job I splurged and treated myself to my only super-fancy bag. Never mind the fact that I could have used the money to knock off one month of the student loan payment. Kate Spade and I are going to live happily ever after.

14) Most kids had a rocking horse. I had a rocking pig, handmade by my dad. I still have it.

15) I have no desire to have children, but I want a dog so badly I can hardly stand it. Happiness is a Labrador Retriever.

16) Even though I’m not interested in having kids of my own, it delights me to no end that some of my girlfriends are starting to have kiddos. They are SO much cuter than other people’s children, and I adore them. Being an “aunt” is one of my new favorite jobs.

17) I really like tap dancing – especially the rhythmic stomp style. As luck would have it, SoundGuy likes it too.

18) A majority of the items in my home and my office are either alphabetized, color-coded, arranged according to size, grouped with like items, or all of the above. I heart organizing. In fact, I’ve even toyed with the idea of becoming a Professional Organizer. I went to one of the meetings…

19) I never had allergies growing up. When I moved to Oregon everyone said, “you’ll get allergies for sure!” Eight years later, I got allergies. Huh. Apparently I’m slow.

20) I have a major irrational fear of snakes. Can’t stand them – even a picture in a book sends me over the edge. However, I have no problem with bugs, spiders, or other creepy-crawlies. In fact, I am the designated cockroach killer at work (we have a very old building). Isn’t that nice? Maybe I should put that on my resume.

21) My first car was a 1982 Ford Mustang. It was black and it had a sunroof and my dad fixed it up for me. It was the coolest thing on wheels except for the fact that it died every time I stopped at the bottom of our hill…and the sunroof started leaking when I moved to Oregon…and the steering wheel would vibrate so hard when you hit 65 mph that you felt like you were sitting in that machine that shakes paint cans. Other than that, it was the best!

22) When I met SoundGuy in 1999 I thought he was a weirdo (and he recently informed me that he though I was bitchy. Want to guess how well that went over?). I would never, ever, in a zillion years, have thought that I would end up with said weirdo. And I’ve never been so glad to be wrong. He’s weird in the nicest possible ways. Except for that “no broccoli” thing. That’s a real problem.

23) I love broccoli! (And almost all other vegetables). If I’m not eating smooth foods (see #10) I want to be eating fresh vegetables. My favorite is a tomato straight from the garden, still warm.

24) I was never spanked or grounded as a child. In fact, I don’t really remember negative discipline at all. I do remember having to put a dime in “The Bank of Dear Old Dad” (an old metal band-aid box) if I forgot to turn off the lights when I left the room. I guess assembling your child from parts purchased at K-Mart is the way to go – apparently I was perfect. And humble, too. We have a blue-light special on humility in aisle 14…

25) I am religious about wearing sunscreen and you should be too. Seriously, it’s important.

3 comments:

John said...

I love broccoli too (especially with a little bit of butter! And cooking it is a surefire way to gross out soundguy. Hehe :) We should get together and much on some little green trees...

Erin said...

love this little list of randoms! I've been thinking of doing this as a blog post too...you may have inspired me! By the way, one should definitely eat more broccoli and less meat and by less I mean none...

Orgelspieler said...

Re: #19:

No worries; I'm slow, too...