Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Have you hugged a Monk lately?

Blue Cloud Abbey is located just across the Minnesota Border in South Dakota. Perched upon a hill in the middle of the planes the abbey is an immensely tranquil place seeped in the 1500 year traditions of the Benedictine Monks. As you can see the view from that hill is quite spectacular. Sunrise and sunset both in the dead of winter is simply amazing in the mid-west. The above sunrise is from looking out the Sacristy Window just after early morning prayers. With bells that toll not only the time but the monks praying schedule, it's hard not to fall into the monastic life.

I have had a few experiences at monasteries but none will equal the rejuvenating solitude and hospitality that I experienced at Blue Cloud. I am curious to read the Benedictine Rules set forth 1500 years ago. What I do know is they treat every guest as if they were Jesus themselves. The are ordered to refrain from talking to you unless you approach them or they have a reason to greet you. In a world where personal interaction is typically about selling you something, greeting you or making sure you are taken care of, this simplicity of hospitality is almost daunting. Although I had a few interactions with the monks, I never had any conversations with them till the very end of my stay. Our retreat was overseen so to say by the current organist who participated in everything we did. Father Michael turned out to be an amazing and passionate human. I really enjoyed singing with him and picking his brain about the order.
Overall I spent much of my time gathering with local South Dakota musicians and listening to Ken Dejong and Paul Klemme teach about singing and conducting techniques. My free time was spent participating in prayer services or relaxing. I did get a tour of the Monastery and realized how big the place really was. They have a bakery, a carpentry shop, multiple garages with cars and tractors and tools, a full talor shop and art department, a greenhouse and I learned they own quite a bit of farmland. In the past when they were closer to 60 monks, they even owned a dairy farm with 200 cows.
The highlight of Blue Cloud Abbey isn't where the monks live and work but where they celebrate prayers daily, every day, 365 days a year. As Fr. Michael put it, our job is to worship the Lord...and even in our economy, that job will never dissapear. As you can see the space is a beautiful cathedral style church with amazing stained glass and a 3 manual organ that is a joy to play and listen to.
The monastic life may be a simple one focus on living out the tennants of Christianity, but what they offer us I think is even more simple and important, a space to rejuvenate and remind ourselves of what life is about...others. If you have never visited a monastery or retreated at one, I highly suggest it. Not only will you find the hospitality above and beyond anything you have ever experienced, you will also slow your life down and meet some men who will truly touch your life without even saying a word. (I will also mention that a day at Blue Cloud Abbey cost $50 and gives you a room that rivals most hotels along with 3 meals a day.)

So, I say again, "Have you hugged a Monk lately?" You might want to try it and find the spiritual rest we all need.

Peace and Grace as always,

~soundguy

1 comment:

Orgelspieler said...

...Dirk has been strangely absent these days so, no, I have not hugged a Monk lately...