Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Coffee and Commitment

It has finally happened: my coffee has started sending me messages.


Are you familiar with Starbucks' "The Way I See It" campaign? They've gathered hundreds of musings and quotations from average Janes and Joes around the country, and have printed them on the side of their paper cups. I'm usually pretty good about taking the reusable mug with me so I don't get "The Way I See It" cups too often. I think they're charming so, when I do get them, I always read them right away.

A week before SoundGuy popped the question, I got a cup bearing this sentiment:
The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up
and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier
to your life. (The Way I See It #76 by Anne Morris)


I remembered that cup specifically because it actually caused me to stop and ponder commitment and what it meant to me, and how a commitment to SoundGuy would certainly change my life. Not so weird, right? Got a cup. Read it. Thought about it. Rinsed it out and recycled it. Done.

Two weeks later I (the now-engaged, sufficiently committed person) got the same cup again. Kind of strange and ironic, right? But probably just a coincidence. Got the cup. Read it. Thought about it...again. Rinsed it out and recycled it. Now really done with The Way I See It #76.

Apparently not. Last week, while enjoying a Spring Break breakfast with SoundGuy, I got the same cup again. FOR THE THIRD TIME! I did the logical thing, photographing the cup so I could tell all 14 of you about it. Maybe my sharing the message of The Way I See It #76 with this wide audience will finally satisfy the coffee gods.

3 comments:

Erin said...

how funny is that? The coffee gods want to be sure you've gotten and understood the message apparently!

Leah said...

i've gotten the same cup three times. must be a sign? :)

Nicole said...

You too, Leah? That makes me feel a LOT better actually =) I wonder what Rick is up too...