Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thunder Storms

In the Willamette Valley (Oregon) a Thunder Storm was a brief and amazing sight to behold. It rarely occurred I assume because the thunderhead itself did not have the time or distance to build. Minnesota however is a different world and this morning I awoke to an amazing experience of sights and sounds that make you feel alive.

First of all the actual lighting covers the sky and blasts into my room. With my body securely in dreamland I believe my dream was about listening to the Thunder. When it came close enough that my closed eyelids noticed the blast of light followed very quickly by the loudest clap of thunder I have ever heard, it brought my right out of my dream.

That's the second part, the rumbled that followed makes those huge sound systems in movie theaters jealous. It continues to rumble by getting lower and lower as the sound shakes buildings and bodies alike. It is a realization of shear power. Over your head must be a turmoil of clouds, rain, wind and lightning. The story that God is Bowling does not explain the sounds you hear in a real Thunder Storm. The patter of the soft raindrops lull you until you are brought back to life by the crashing, rumble, well words can not describe the elongated cacophony of sound that follows.

At least I have found one definitively cool thing that Minnesota has that (western) Oregon does not.

~soundguy

No comments: