Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

Umm...When did I become a shipping clerk?

Again with the stuff they didn't teach us in college! After nearly a week of posting everything in sight on Ebay, I am starting to see some progress. People actually WANT this crazy stuff - who knew? There were even multiple bidders in the Bag-O-Ash. Go figure. Now I find myself in the roll of shipping clerk, and let me just tell you how glorious it is. Mounds of bubble wrap, miles of packing tape, and stacks and stacks of cardboard boxes teetering precariously over me at every turn. Checking my PayPal account every 22 seconds to be sure I'm shipping the right stuff to the right person, but only after they've paid, and - wait - did they specify insurance?, and on and on it goes.

Here's the other fun game a shipping clerk can play: drawing fully unsubstantiated conclusions about who these people (our "buyers") are based on where they live and what they've bought. For example, doesn't it seem pretty perfect that a set of hunting decoys was bought by someone in rural Arkansas? Or the fact that we are shipping two boxes worth of patriotic whiskey bottles to some guy in the backwoods of Kentucky? (How much do you wanna bet he's taking his moonshine business to a new level?). Here's the one that has me stumped, though: what is a little old lady in Michigan going to do with the Bag-O-Ash?

I leave you to ponder that. My 15-minute break is up. (I'm a good union shipping clerk, after all).

1 comment:

Erin said...

Now you know why my "dining room" looks like a post office....Shawn is always shipping stuff....